07 Dec 8 Surprising Benefits of Staying Hydrating
We all know it’s important to drink plenty of water. Water keep your body functioning properly and can help you lose weight and have more energy. But adequate hydration also has a number of other health benefits that may surprise you. If you’re looking for more reasons to increase your water intake, consider these additional reasons that will make you want to keep your water bottle handy.
- Hydration fights cavities and bad breath. A dry mouth is uncomfortable but it can also cause more serious dental problems.Water keeps your mouth fresh and moist for good oral health.
- It improves brain function. Our brains are made of more than 70% water so proper hydration is essential for mental health. Drinking water will increase alertness, improve memory and even boost cognitive performance.
- And can relieve headaches. Similarly, dehydration has been identified as a migraine trigger and for many people, drinking just 2 cups of water has been shown to provide complete relief of headaches.
- Hydration may protect against certain cancers.Some studies have found that drinking adequate amounts of water reduces the risk of prostate, bladder and breast cancer.
- Hydration prevents constipation. Many people understand that water flushes the liver and kidneys but it also brings other benefits for digestive health. Water dissolves fat and fiber, which helps prevent and relieve constipation.
- It also improves your mood. Water is good for physical and mental as well as emotional wellbeing. Even mild dehydration has been shown to negatively impact moods.
- And boosts heart health. Dehydration lowers blood volume, which makes your heart need to work harder. Adequate hydration helps your heart carry oxygen to cells more easily to improve cardiovascular function.
- Hydration is good for your skin. Dry, cracked skin can be caused or made worse by dehydration.Drinking plenty of water, especially during the winter, will keep your skin feeling soft and smooth.
Kevin Arnold writes about health, wellness and travel. For more tips and information, check out all of his posts at www.pureroom.com/Pure_living_blog.